[Tutor] Start multiple threads from Python

Ryan Waples ryan.waples at gmail.com
Mon Aug 5 21:17:39 CEST 2013

Python 2.7.x on Windows 7.

I'm looking for a bit of advice, not sure how to proceed.

With Python I am generating a file with a bunch of data in it.  I want to
analyse the data in this file with three separate programs.  Each of these
programs is single threaded needs only read access to the data, and they do
not depend on each other.

Currently I am calling each analysis program one at a time with
subprocess.call(). This is working without a hitch, but as each analysis
can take a while to run, I want to try to speed things up.  I realize I can
start three different python sessions to do this, but that just begs the
question how to do that from python?

How can I start multiple independent programs (as in subprocess.call())
without waiting for them to finish?

-Thanks
Ryan