[Tutor] Civil discourse from a newbie's perspective

Oscar Benjamin oscar.j.benjamin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 2 13:44:06 CEST 2012

On 2 October 2012 11:16, Cecilia Chavana-Bryant
<cecilia.chavana at gmail.com> wrote:

> In my case, I am a complete beginner not only to python but programming in general, a complete beginner to internet forums (this is my third post ever) and I am also not a native English speaker. So, I feel triply ignorant when I post a question. Not only do I find it difficult to articulate my problem, as being a beginner to programming, I basically don't know what the hell I'm talking about, but after reading other posts where people have been corrected on their formatting I am also very insecure about this.

Please don't be nervous about posting because you are not sure about
the best way to write your post. Nobody will really get upset with you
for top-posting or not including all of the relevant information (on
other mailing lists they might).

The comments that are sometimes made about formatting posts or
providing extra information should not be interpreted as criticism.
They are intended to help everyone communicate on this list. They are
also good advice for posting on other mailing lists.

If someone makes a comment like that to you, consider it a piece of
advice (that you can ignore if you like). The point is that if your
own communication is better then you will get more out of this mailing
list.

Oscar