[Tutor] While learning Py: To IDE or not to IDE?

Modulok modulok at gmail.com
Mon May 21 07:57:14 CEST 2012

> Since you are using Solaris, I expect your options for IDEs are limited.
> You're probably best off using Unix as your IDE:
>
> http://blog.sanctum.geek.nz/series/unix-as-ide/
>
> which is my preferred solution. There's very little I can't do between my
> editor and a terminal window with a few tabs open.

Apparently I'm not alone.

I've not found an IDE I liked much either. They all feel kind of
bloated with 37+
useless features I don't need. Instead, I use jEdit, a few choice plugins and
an ssh connection to a command shell on a FreeBSD file server. (The fact that
jEdit was written in java is irritating form a licensing perspective on some
OS's but the editor itself is top notch.)

A decent editor combined with a good command shell is all I've ever needed. If
I'm on the console alone, for minor editing I just use nano.

Personally, and this is just me, I've felt that big IDE's add a lot of
interface and fluff but not a lot of substance. One of the benefits of learning
a few basic editors and how to really use a command shell, is that it doesn't
matter what brand of linux/BSD/unix you're on, you're still pretty much at
home. That said, IDE's still have their place, especially when writing a lot
of GUI stuff.

Learning to use a command line at first feels really clunky and primitive, but
eventually it eclipses most GUI's and IDE's in terms of speed and the tools
available. You can also ooze right into system administration without much
effort.

But again, that's just me :p
-Modulok-