[Tutor] Parsing data from a set of files iteratively

Prasad, Ramit ramit.prasad at jpmorgan.com
Fri May 18 20:33:05 CEST 2012

>I have a set of ~500 files which I would like to run a script on. My script extracts certain information and
>generates several lists with items I need. For one of these lists, I need to combine the information from all
>500 files into one super-list. Is there a way in which I can iteratively execute my script over all 500 files
>and get them to write the list I need into a new file? Many thanks in advance for your time.

Yes, it is possible. Have you made an attempt? Do you have some working
or non-working code?

The Python tutorials will help as will the online documentation
How to get a list of files: http://docs.python.org/library/glob.html
How to read/write a file: http://docs.python.org/tutorial/inputoutput.html#reading-and-writing-files

Hopefully that will give you a start.

Ramit