[Tutor] getpass

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Jun 16 10:39:50 CEST 2012

On 16/06/12 06:44, Mike Nickey wrote:

> "Prompt the user for a password without echoing." --
> http://www.python.org/doc//current/library/getpass.html
>
> However when I run it in Eclipse, the password is clear as day.

Remember Eclipse is a development environment not aruntime environment.
Like all IDEs it captures the stdin/stdout activity and displays 9or
interprets!) it in its own way.

Any time you are running I/O sensitive code (including GUIs) and you hit
something strange always try it in the vanilla interpreter to make sure
its not the IDE trying to be 'helpful' (or even just being buggy!!)

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site