[Tutor] While Loop

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Wed Jun 13 07:59:02 CEST 2012

On 06/13/2012 01:29 AM, Andrew Brunn wrote:
> Let me preface by saying that I am currently taking my first programming
>  class; so I have been a "programmer" for just over a week now.
>
> Here is my question;

>  am trying to create a while loop that will allow me ask for a username
> and password.  If a wrong username and password is entered, I would like
>  the program to prompt the user to re-enter the username and password
> until they get it correct.  That means even if they get it wrong a
> thousand times, I want to program to keep asking them.
>
> This is my code;
>
> [code]
> username = ""
>
> while not username:
>     username=raw_input("Username: ")
>
> password = ""
>
> while not password:
>
>  password=raw_input("Password: ")
> if username == "john doe" and password == "fopwpo":
>     print "Login successful"
> else:
>     print "Error. Please re-enter your username and password."
> [code]
>

> Andy Brunn

So put the whole thing in a while loop.  For that matter, also put it in
a function.  Anything over about 3 lines should be written as one or
more functions.

The simplest change would be to make the while loop look like    while
True:, and put a break right after the print "Login successful" line,

def  getUserPass():
    while True
         (existing code here)
         if username == "xxxx" and password == "yyyy":
               print "login successful"
               break
          else:
               print "Error:  Please ...."