[Tutor] Trying to access a random value in a list

Claude Matherne cmathe7 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 12 23:48:56 CET 2012

Hello all,
I am a beginner to python and I am trying to make a simple program that
takes in some names as input into a list and then randomly picks a vaule
from that list as a winner.

Here is the code:

import random

choice = None

names = [ ]

while choice != "0":
    print(
        """
        0 - Exit
        1 - Enter a name
        2 - Pick a winner
        """)
    choice = input("Choice: ")
    print()

    if choice == "0":
        print ("Goodbye.")

    elif choice == "1":
        name = input("Please enter a name: ")
        names.append(name)
        print (names, "have been entered.")

    elif choice == "2":
        pick = len(names)
        win_number =random.randint(0,pick)
        print (names[win_number], " is the winner!")

input("/n/nPress enter to exit.")

First problem, sometimes I get a error where the value is out of range.
Problem becuase of the way I set up the random value.
Second problem, but not a big one, is when I print the lists of names as
they are entered, I get quotations around the name.

I'm sur I am over thinking this, but any help would be great.

Thanks