[Tutor] Checking for file completion.

Tony Pelletier tony.pelletier at gmail.com
Tue Feb 21 19:42:35 CET 2012

> Please post your message again, as a text message rather than an html one.
>  Reading non-trivial python code that's lost all its indentation is
> impossible.  You've done it before, but that case was simple enough to not
> matter much.
>

> --
>
> DaveA

Sorry about that.  I actually thought i was... my bad...

Hi,

I'm struggling with what I think seems to be a problem.  I've created
a program that does numerous SOAP calls.  In short, I create a report
on a report server, pull that file down then parse that file that's
been written locally for data to make more SOAP calls.  My problem is
I'm grabbing the filename then losing it somewhere along the way.  The
only thing I can think of is that it's still open/being written and
causing me a problem.

Main starts like such.

def main():
	service = Service()
	cleanup()
	reportId = createReport(service)
	#time.sleep(3)
	filename = getReport(service,reportId)
	getEventAttachments(service, filename)

Here are the results from a test run.

Deleting "files" directory...
"files" directory successfully created...
Report in Processing state...
WeeklyDeliveriesReport_2012-02-21.csv
WeeklyDeliveriesReport_2012-02-21.csv report succesfully written out...
None
File still being written out...

getReport() returns a filename and you actually see it twice up in the results.

def getReport(service, reportId):
	reportIds = service.client.factory.create('ArrayOfstring')
	reportIds.string.append(reportId)

	try:
		result = service.client.service.ReportQueryById(reportIds, 'True')
		if result.Report[0].ReportStatus == 'Processing':
			print 'Report in Processing state...'
			time.sleep(3)
			getReport(service,reportId)

		else:

			filename =  result.Report[0].ReportFileArgs.ReportFileArg[0].UserFileName
			print filename
			encodedfile = result.Report[0].ReportFileArgs.ReportFileArg[0].EncodedValue

			encodedstring = encodedfile.encode('utf-8')
			str_list = []
			for line in encodedstring:
				line = line.rstrip()
				str_list.append(line)
			string = ''.join(str_list)
			data = base64.b64decode(string)
			outfile = open(filename, 'w')
			outfile.write(data)
			outfile.close()
			shutil.copyfile(filename, os.path.join('files', filename))
			print filename + ' report succesfully written out...'
			logging.info(filename + ' report succesfully written out...')
			return filename
	except suds.WebFault as e:
		print e.fault.detail

then from main, I'm using filename to then make the call to
getEventAttachments and passing in filename.  The None you see is a
result of my "print filename" statement.

Now, if I uncomment that time.sleep(3), it runs flawlessly which I
think tells me that the file is still being written to.  I *think*...

Two questions.
1.  Is that not it and if so, am I missing something obvious?
2.  If it is it, is there a way to check to see if the file I'm trying
to read from is done being written to?

Thanks