[Tutor] Tutor Digest, Vol 106, Issue 5

Luke Paireepinart lukepdev at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 00:56:30 CET 2012

I apologize for the blank message I just sent, the "send" button is near
the "..." button.

>> Okay, this is where I stopped reading.
>>
>> You should pay attention to the emails that other people are sending.
>> Notice how they reply to individual emails, not to a mass digest? Then
>> pay attention to *your* email. Imagine you were receiving it. Did you
>> not notice that your reply was SIX PAGES LONG?
>> [...]
>> If you don't do these things, you will soon find that nobody will be
>> interested in digging through the piles and piles of dross looking for
>> your comments buried deep in your reply.

I just wanted to make the observation that, at least in gmail, the default
behavior is to hide the entire quoted text behind an innocuous "..."
button.  So when writing a reply you really DO NOT see that it has 6 pages
of quotes in some mail readers.  In fact I would (were I not familiar with
mailing lists) assume that "..." was not hiding much behind it at all.

Now once someone knows that this is the case, I'm sure they can take steps
to avoid it.  But I can easily see how someone new to the list would get
confused.

I also did not read the original e-mail due to its cluttered nature.

Thanks,
-Luke