[Tutor] Installing modules with easy_install

Ray Jones crawlzone at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 22:48:16 CEST 2012

On 08/28/2012 01:35 PM, Emile van Sebille wrote:
> On 8/28/2012 1:17 PM Ray Jones said...
>>> Good, but does sys.path contain
>>> /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pytz-2012d-py2.7.egg?
>> More info:
>>
>> /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages does not contain a easy-install.pth
>> file.
>>

> You installed this with easy_install, so the version of python therein
> referenced is the same one that now should have access to it.
>
> Try :  which easy_install
>
> then cat the result.  The first line points to the executable python
> that installed pytz.  On my local system this looks like:
>

> head -1 `which easy_install`
> #! /usr/bin/python
>
> copy and paste in the result, then import pytz from there and paste in
> the results if it doesn't work.
#! /usr/bin/python

I think you come late to the party, but jump in - there's lots of room!

We have solved the pytz problem by quarantining the pytz*.egg and
installing python-tz from the Debian system. But while pytz now works,
it does not address the problem of easy-install-ed modules not being
recognized by python (btw, in perusing the
/usr/local/bin/.../dist-packages I also found a shodan module (whatever
that is) that python does not recognize - and I don't find shodan in the
Debian packages).

Ray