[Tutor] PYFTDI Library for FT232H

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Aug 3 03:02:44 CEST 2012

On 03/08/12 09:38, John Battle wrote:
> I am relatively new to Pyton and am trying to use a library called pyftdi
> which is used to establish communication with USB chips made by FTDI. I have
> been able to install the library and write a simple piece of code to discover
> my interfaces (I have two FT232H devices connected). The following code seems
> to work to accomplish that:
>
> #!/usr/bin/python
> from pyftdi.pyftdi.ftdi import *
> vps=[(0x0403,0x6014)]
> devs=Ftdi.find_all(vps)
> print devs
>
> However I cannot figure out what to do next.

If you are talking about this library:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi/pyftdi

have you tried reading the documentation, such as it is? I've had a quick
look, and it appears to be extremely light on documentation, but I didn't dig
too deeply, maybe you will have better luck. The GitHub page claims to have
some examples, but I couldn't get it to work in my browser.

You can also try this at the Python interactive interpreter:

import pyftdi
help(pyftdi)

and see if the library has any useful embedded documentation. It may not.

Do you know how to start the interactive interpreter? You need to open a
terminal window, then at the prompt, you need to launch Python. Under Linux, I
just type

python

and hit the ENTER key. If you are using Windows, it may be more complicated.

--
Steven