[Tutor] a quick Q: how to use for loop to read a series of files with .doc end

Dave Angel d at davea.name
Thu Sep 29 17:28:29 CEST 2011

(Please don't top-post.  Put your remarks AFTER the part you're quoting
from the previous message)

On 09/29/2011 10:55 AM, lina wrote:
> import os.path
>
> tokens=['E']
> result=[]
>
> for fileName in os.listdir("."):
>      if os.path.isfile(fileName) and os.path.splitext(fileName)=="xpm":
>          filedata = open(fileName)
>          text=filedata.readlines()
>          for line in text:
>

> How can I read from line 24 and do further looking for "E".
>
> Thanks,

As I said in my earlier message, this was untested.  It gave you the
building blocks, but was not correct.

In particular, that if-test will always fail, so you're not seeing any
files.

import os.path

tokens=['E']
result=[]

for fileName in os.listdir("."):

     if os.path.isfile(fileName) and os.path.splitext(fileName)[1]==".xpm":
         filedata = open(fileName)
         text=filedata.readlines()
         for line in text:
             print line

Once you've tested that, then you're ready to just look at line 24.

text is a list, so you can refer to line 24 as text[24]

Or you can get lines 24-28, with  text[24, 29]   (look up slices in the
Python doc)

==
DaveA