[Tutor] string immutability

Johan Martinez jmartiee at gmail.com
Mon Oct 24 21:52:02 CEST 2011

On Mon, Oct 24, 2011 at 2:32 PM, Steve Willoughby <steve at alchemy.com> wrote:

> On 24-Oct-11 12:17, Johan Martinez wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the replies everyone - Steve, Dave, Sander and Wayne. I
>> realized my wrong understanding/interpretation after posting the message
>> to the list, which usually  happens most of the time with me!
>>

> That happens to most of us all the time too :)  Unfortunately, with the lag
> between posting to the list and mail getting out to everyone, you'll
> probably get several replies that all say the same thing--we're not piling
> up on you, it's just a bunch of people being helpful without seeing that
> someone already answered yet.
>
> Glad we could help.  Looking more into how Python variables work unlocks a
> lot of potential for all sorts of data structure operations that other
> languages require pointers to do, but are a lot easier when essentially all
> "variables" are references to objects but with the details handled behind
> the scenes for you.
>
> --
> Steve Willoughby / steve at alchemy.com
> "A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for."
> PGP Fingerprint 4615 3CCE 0F29 AE6C 8FF4 CA01 73FE 997A 765D 696C

Actually it's good to see so many replies and different methods and
explanations here.

Also, is there any doc link where I can find all the information about
String object - class and instance methods. Google pointed me to following
two links, but that wasn't helpful for finding instance method for finding
length of a string object (rather than using 'len' function).

- http://docs.python.org/library/string.html
- http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#string-methods

Finally I figured it out ( __length__() ) thanks to ipython shell env. But
is there any online documentation or interactive reference like ruby-ri?

jM.