[Tutor] Beginner troubleshooting py2exe

Esther Showalter bfkhiya at gmail.com
Tue Jun 28 00:27:10 CEST 2011

Hello!

I'm trying to follow the introductory tutorial on using py2exe at
http://py2exe.org/index.cgi/Tutorial. It's very straightforward except that
I keep getting an error when I come to step #3 and I don't know what I need
to do about it:

I'm running Python 2.7 on Windows Vista (32-bit). I've installed Python in
C:\Python27 and py2exe in C:\Python27\Lib\site-packages\py2exe. When I reach
step #3 in the tutorial and run my setup script that I just wrote from the
tutorial's guidelines, I get the following error:

C:\Python27>python setup.py py2exe
running py2exe
*** searching for required modules ***
*** parsing results ***
creating python loader for extension 'unicodedata'
(C:\Python27\DLLs\unicodedata
.pyd -> unicodedata.pyd)
creating python loader for extension 'select' (C:\Python27\DLLs\select.pyd
-> se
lect.pyd)
creating python loader for extension '_hashlib'
(C:\Python27\DLLs\_hashlib.pyd -
> _hashlib.pyd)
creating python loader for extension 'bz2' (C:\Python27\DLLs\bz2.pyd ->
bz2.pyd)

*** finding dlls needed ***
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "setup.py", line 6, in <module>
    setup(console=['hello.py'])
  File "C:\Python27\lib\distutils\core.py", line 152, in setup
    dist.run_commands()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\distutils\dist.py", line 953, in run_commands
    self.run_command(cmd)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\distutils\dist.py", line 972, in run_command
    cmd_obj.run()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\py2exe\build_exe.py", line 243, in run
    self._run()
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\py2exe\build_exe.py", line 305, in
_run
    dlls = self.find_dlls(extensions)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\py2exe\build_exe.py", line 389, in
find_dl
ls
    self.dll_excludes)
  File "C:\Python27\lib\site-packages\py2exe\build_exe.py", line 1021, in
find_d
ependend_dlls
    import py2exe_util
ImportError: DLL load failed: %1 is not a valid Win32 application.

After this error occurs I checked my directories and saw that the dist and
build folders were created inside the C:\Python27 folder as predicted in the
tutorial, but they don't contain any folders or files.

I'm assuming this is a problem with something system not being able to
locate the proper file, but I have exactly no idea how to solve it. Advice?
Enlightenmnet?
Thanks very much.