[Tutor] Telephone app

Walter Prins wprins at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 22:33:33 CET 2011

On 23 January 2011 21:04, David Hutto <smokefloat at gmail.com> wrote:

> So I have to receive the signal that the phone is ringing(then I'm
> assuming it sends the caller id info in between rings in some form)/or
> transmit a series of tones to them to connect.
>
> So I think my main question is what modules might be relevant to doing
> this? And should I be thinking of it any differently than a USB port
> which has 4 pins two data(+-), and two dc current(+-)?

I think you're thinking too low level, as alluded to by Alan this type of
stuff is done via a voice-modem that you can directly control (via serial
port) and get signals from e.g. using its command set.  A common standard
for about 3 decades has been the Hayes command set:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hayes_command_set

As for control from Python - given that the modem would be present as a
serial (COM port) device in the system, I'd have thought that (at worst)
you'd be looking to use PySerial to interact with the modem.  There may also
be more targetted wrappers specifically wrapping modems (don't know, haven't
looked).  And as mentioned before, you can probably also use the more
abstract interface provided by the operating system (TAPI stuff).

And yes, USB is quite different from the POTS (Plain Old Telephone System).
Forget any ideas that they're anywhere the same thing.

Hope that helps.

Walter