[Tutor] Mac python 3.1.3 installation

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Jan 16 12:17:42 CET 2011

<jamesadrian at globalfreeenterprise.com> wrote

> successfully installed python 3.1.3 for Mac on my iMac computer.  I
> have
> read the readme files that come with the download.  I think that
> Idle is
> the initial text editor.  I know how to use the terminal.  I cannot
> find
> a written procedure that gets me to the point that I can find a way
> write a program.  What should I read or do?

Have you programmed before in any other language?
If so just follow through the official tutorial on the Python web
site.
If not go to the Non Programmers page and pick a tutorial from there.
They should all help you get started, although perhaps not Mac
specific.

The fast answer to your question is that you create a text file
with an extension of .py (Textpad could be used but IDLE or
any other Python-aware editor would be better). Then from the
command prompt run it by typing:

$ python myscript.py

If you use IDLE you can run the script from inside IDLE too.

Look at the "Getting Started" and "More Sequences"  topics in
my tutorial for more details.

HTH
--
Alan Gauld