[Tutor] python packaging systems

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Feb 10 17:14:33 CET 2011

"Bill Allen" <wallenpb at gmail.com> wrote
>I have found there are a few systems available to package Python
>programs as
> standalone programs for distribution.   Do the folks here have any
> recommendation or comment on any of these?

Personally I don't like them and prefer to install a version of Python
and then install my modules separately.

If you want to hide your code(a little bit) you can ship only the pyc
files rather than the py. Otherwise py2exe etc helps a little bit in
concealing your design. But I'm not convinced it is worth the effort,
or the potential cluttering of your users hard drive with multiple
Python interpreters.

But I confess I'm not in the business of selling commercial Python
apps and if I was I might feel differently! :-)

Alan G