[Tutor] Wading through traceback output :p:

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Dec 26 18:04:15 CET 2011

On 26/12/11 12:52, Thomas C. Hicks wrote:

> Also appreciate the thoughts about the file name.  This is my first big
> project and I still have much to learn.  If you can point me to a
> discussion of file naming when there are multiple files involved in a
> project I am game to do some reading!

When dealing with multiple files the only p[roblem tends to e if you
have duplicate names. In that case create separate folders (packages in
Python) and use namespaces to kep them separate.

If you have multiple versions of the same file it's probably better to
keep separate folders for each project version. But better still is to
use a version control tool (which does the same thing virtually with a
friendly UI/CLI and copes with multiple versions etc).

These can range from simple file based RCS to full project based
control. Most folks these days tenmd to go with project based
control. CVS, SVN. GIT, Mercurial are the big names for freeware.
[MS SourceSafe, IBM ClearCase and AidedeCamp are the big commercial
players - but they cost big bucks(apart from SourceSafe)]

SVN and Mercurial would be my suggestion, GUI front ends exist for both
and both have packages for most Linux distros. They both have web sites
with tutorials, but whiole there are oodles of options etc there are
only a few commands you need for normal use, especially for a single user:

create,
check out,
check in,
fork,