[Tutor] A few Python Mysteries [Reset]

Wayne Watson sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net
Thu Dec 22 16:38:30 CET 2011

Hi, Walter.

On 12/21/2011 8:20 PM, Walter Prins wrote:
> Hi Wayne,
>
> On 22 December 2011 03:21, Wayne Watson<sierra_mtnview at sbcglobal.net>  wrote:
>> I uninstalled Uniblue, but as it turns out, it
>> was an incomplete uninstall.  I just spent the last 30-45 minutes trying to
>> get it uninstalled. Finally, I sent an e-mail on how to do it. I have no
>> idea how it got entangled with Python 2.6. So for the time being it's out of
>> the picture.
> Well, presumably it uses/depends on Python 2.6...
I'm looking at the Uniblue DriverScanner, and see mostly exe files, and
a few dll files.  They may all relate to the uniblue program itself.
There's a language folder there, and a x64 folder there. x64 has the
installer. Otherwise, there is no reference to anything that looks like
a 26 dll, nor is there a list of drivers the program might want to
examine for age.  Of course, all of this should have been uninstalled.

Although, the Win7 indexed search is very fast to find something there
are times when it flubs (possibly since I don't know all the tricks one
can use in a search). looking for 26.dll has turned up nothing an either
a folder or inside a file. Supposedly, Uniblue supply an answer in 24
hours. If not, I'll try Winamp.
>> As a question asked by others, is Python27 under ...\System32. It is under
>> C:\Python27.  Further, it is the 64-bit version associated with Python.
> I didn't ask.  I stated, and to clarify: When you install the standard
> distribution of Python, the majority of the files get put under
> C:\PythonNN (unless otherwise specified by the user).  However, the
> Python engine in the form of a DLL is *also* put under the System32
> directory.
I'm looking at System32 entries right now. I see folders such as spool,
speech, setup,restore, and lots of dll files.  Some of the "p" dll files
are p2psvc.dll, packager.dll, p2p.dll, and python27.dll. No
python26.dll, and nothing starting with py other than the 27 file.
>> In reading some of the other posts, I was unsure of whether Python27 is put
>> on the PATH or not by the install.  The question remains unanswered.  I just
>> left it there, as I re-installed 2.7.2 minutes ago.  Here's where matters
>> stand.
> I've already answered this also, with an unambigious exception to my
> answer pointed out by another poster, which is that it depends on
> whether you installed the standard Python distribution or whether you
Standard. Interesting dependency. I considered Active once, but did not
install it.
> installed the ActiveState Python distribution.  So, did you install
> the standard Python distribution or did you install the ActiveState
> version of Python?  The answer to this question will determine whether
> the PATH will have been affected by the Python installation.  Even so,
> it's an irrelevance w.r.t. your IDLE problems...
What is the outcome based on what I wrote about not Active?

>> The fact that when I right click on a py file, it begins with Open and then
>> Edit with IDLE is very encouraging.
> Having this entry in your context menu simply means certain entries
> are in your system's registery but says very little else about whether
> it will work or not.
>
>> The downside is that IDLE does not come up.
> Which suggests that the associations/registry entries are in fact
> broken, perhaps because they're pointing to a non-existent
> installation of Python...
If so, how I can I tell?

>> However, the Start menu's Python27 entry shows Edit with IDLE, Manuals,
>> ..., and Python Console.  The console works. The fact that IDLE actually
>> appears in both places is again encouraging.
> Does IDLE start from the Start menu when you click it?
Nothing happens that I can detect. I'm looking at Properties of it. It
shows
   Start in: c:\Python27.
   Type of File: shortcut (link).
  Location: ...\star menu\programs\python2.7

Interesting under the Security tab it shows Wayne with only special
permissions. No Read, Write, Read & Execute(!!).  Admin allows all but
special. Users allows Read&Execute and Read. Same with Everyone

Under Details tab Name is IDLE(Python GUI) link. Folder Path:
c:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start... I can see nothing past "Start..."

>>> Under ...\Python27\Lib\idlelib, I can find idle.py, idle.pyw and
>> IdleHistory.py.  Clicking on idle.pyw does nothing.
> Does double clicking idle.pyw do anything?
Nothing but a momentary circular arrow icon.  Thinking I guess.

> Normally double clicking
> idle.pyw will start IDLE.  Does double clicking idle.bat do anything?
> Normally clicking idle.bat will also start IDLE.  If you open a
> command prompt and then enter
> cd \Python27\Lib\idlelib
> idle.bat
>
> Does it output any error messages? If so, what?
A black command window comes up very briefly.  It looks empty, but it's
really gone quickly.

>> A few months ago when I broached this install and IDLE problem, someone
>> mentioned idle.bat. It is in the same  idlelib. Is there something that
>> needs to be done here, to get IDLE active?  Is this where having Python27 in
>> the path causes a problem with IDLE?
> Whether or not you have C:\Python27 in the PATH is irrelevant to
> whether IDLE will run.
I'm removing it nevertheless unless your answer to my Active above has
some relevance to keeping it.

> In any case, I'd still suggest reinstalling Python 2.7 -- you seem to
> be having file association/registry issues and who knows what else,
In the last 24 hours I've re-installed 2.7.2 twice. The last time was
around 7-9 pm last night. I don't see how doing it again is going to
help.  If there's a registry issue, then I need to figure out how to
resolve it.
> these things will not resolve themselves by fiddling around with the
> PATH issue, which is in any case a red herring,
Apparently so.
> an irrelevance w.r.t.
> your IDLE issues.
Who know what the cause is? Maybe Uniblue.  I hope not. :-)