[Tutor] list mail formatting

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Thu Dec 22 10:10:58 CET 2011

On 22/12/11 03:34, Alexander wrote:

>> We  request, and advise where possible, on setting up email
>> in plain text, but we do not insist

>> It's a frustration to most folks who were brought up on
>> plain-text email.
>
> I'm glad I came across this thread. I've been following a few posts
> here and there, and now that Alan has posted I feel comfortable
> exchanging emails for this mailing list from here on in rich
> formatting.

Notice I didn't say we encourage it. If you can send mails in plain
tesxt you will avoid many problems, particularly in code formatting
issues. You will also avoid frustrating those who might help you.

But, if you can't figure out how to send in plain text we would rather
you posted RTF than not post at all!

But if you ever want to grow as a programmer and use any of the more
advanced technical mailing lists you will find them less accomodating.
So avoiding plain text may work here but will ultimately be limiting to
your learning.

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site