[Tutor] Python on TV

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Fri Apr 15 06:14:22 CEST 2011

Luke Paireepinart wrote:
> I don't see how a content provider preventing you from accessing content internationally that they probably don't have international distribution rights to as censorship. It's not like your ISP is blocking your access.

There is nothing about censorship that means it can only be performed by
government. Your parents probably censored what you saw and read when
you were a child. Fox News censors; private companies and entities of
all sizes and forms censor, with varying degrees of success and
different motives.

As Bill Cole once said:

"Here in the US, we are so schizoid and deeply opposed to government
censorship that we insist on having unaccountable private parties
to do it instead."

Not all censorship is bad, nor is it always from a desire to hide
information or keep people ignorant. Often it is from a desire to make
money by restricting information. Sometimes the entity doing the
censorship doesn't gain from it at all, but does so on behalf of another
party. Sometimes the party doing the censorship doesn't even realise
that they are censoring, because they themselves are equally victims of
censorship. It's all still censorship.

As for international distribution rights, that concept no longer makes
sense in the 21st century. It's well past time that they have their
business models catch up to reality.

--
Steven