[Tutor] functions: use return or exceptions?

Luke Paireepinart rabidpoobear at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 22:06:25 CEST 2010

You should do both. Raise an exception in the exceptional case.

My general pattern is to return None if no results exist, return the results if they do exist, and raise an exception if I couldn't perform the function.

Eg. If I have a function that creates a list of users with a first name of bob, I'll return the users or None (or probably an empty list) but if the db connection is unsuccessful I'll let the exception it throws propagate back up from my function, or possibly trap and rethrow the exception.

Or if a db connection error shouldn't matter to the calling function, I just won't re raise the exception.

I may not actually do that in practice, depending on the implications, but that's my general idea usually.

Sent from a mobile device with a bad e-mail client.