[Tutor] plotting pixels

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 18 21:37:11 CEST 2010

>      It appears that the Tk canvas widget does not support simply
>     plotting a pixel.  However, I can plot a line only one pixel long.
>     I wonder why they do not simply provide the pixel plot primitive?  I
>     have seen very many graphics packages that do this and I have always
>     wondered why.  The primitive obviously exists in the underlying
>     code, because that is what everything else is built upon.  Does Tk
>     actually have a something like a create_pixel method in the canvas
>     widget that I have missed?

You don't want that.

Tkinter's Canvas is a Smart Canvas, each lines and shapes corresponds to
a Tcl/Tk object. If you want to plot a 800*600 image pixel-per-pixel in
Tkinter's Canvas, then Tkinter would have to create 480000 Tcl Objects.

If you want to draw pixels and lines directly, Tkinter Canvas isn't
suitable for that. Try using a different Canvas, one that uses a
Stateless Canvas.