[Tutor] FW: wierd replace problem

Francesco Loffredo fal at libero.it
Tue Sep 14 20:11:04 CEST 2010

On 14/09/2010 18.35, Roelof Wobben wrote:
> It was not confusing when I read your explanation.
> Still im grazy wht with you and Joel the strip works and with me I get errors.
>
> But how can I use the triple quotes when reading a textf-file ?
Very easy: YOU DON'T NEED TO USE ANY QUOTES.
All the quoting stuff is ONLY needed for literals, that is for those
strings you directly write in a program. For example:

MyString = """ these are my favourite quoting characters: "'` """  #
here you need to avoid ambiguities, because quoting chars are also used
to start and end the string.
You could obtain EXACTLY the same string with backslash-quoting:

YourString = ' these are my favourite quoting characters: "\'` '  # here
I had to quote the single-quote char

HerString = " these are my favourite quoting characters: \"'` "  # and
here the double quote had to be quoted by backslash

But when you DON'T write the string yourself, you don't need any quoting:
ThisString = MyString + YourString + HerString  # no quoting required
ThatString = file.read() # again, NO QUOTING REQUIRED.

> Roelof
Francesco