[Tutor] recursive problem

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sun Sep 12 21:56:55 CEST 2010

"Roelof Wobben" <rwobben at hotmail.com> wrote
> Because I follow this book "Thinking like a computer scientist" and
> I have only read the chapters about strings. lists and tuples.

And that book tries to use Python to teach a general Computing
Science degree 101 course. So it teaches you what are classically
considered good practices even when these are not normal Python
practice. That doesn't make it a bad book but its not purely Pythonic.

FWIW The same is true of my tutorial - I try to teach general
principles
rather than pure Python - but my attempt to minimise the difference
is to include examples using VBScript and Javascriopt to illustrate
alternate approaches. You pick your favourite and run with it, but
recognise the limits...

--
Alan Gauld
Author of the Learn to Program web site