[Tutor] sort problem

Evert Rol evert.rol at gmail.com
Wed Sep 8 17:26:58 CEST 2010

> I have this :
>
> def sort_sequence(seq):
>     """
>       >>> sort_sequence([3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 2])
>       [2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8]
>       >>> sort_sequence((3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 2))
>       (2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8)
>       >>> sort_sequence("nothappy")
>       'ahnoppty'
>     """
>    if type(seq) == type([]):
>         seq.sort()
>     elif type(seq)== type(()):
>         seq = tuple(sorted(seq))
>     else:
>         seq2 = list(seq)
>         seq2.sort()
>         print seq2
>         seq.join(seq2)
>     return seq
>
> The problem is that if I want to sort the characters in a string, the list exist of the sorted characters but as soon as I convert them to a string I get the old string.

Carefully read the documentation for str.join: http://docs.python.org/library/stdtypes.html#str.join

How does it work, what does it return, etc. Then fix the corresponding line in your code.
As a hint: str.join does work quite different than list.sort; I assume you're confusing their syntaxes.

Good luck,

  Evert