[Tutor] for loop results into list

Micheal Beatty mikelbt at gmail.com
Sun Sep 5 23:05:07 CEST 2010

  On 09/05/2010 03:48 PM, Evert Rol wrote:

>>> <snip />

>>> <snip />

>>> Can you send what you currently have? Sounds like you still have the first statement at some incorrect place in your code.
>>>

>> Here is what I have.
>>
>> # Program to determine frequency of each possible 4d6 die roll
>>
>> attrib_list = []
>> fourdsix = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6] #list of possible 1d6 die roll  results
>> for i in fourdsix:
>>     for j in fourdsix:
>>         for k in fourdsix:
>>             for l in fourdsix:
>>                 fourdsix_result = [i, j, k, l] # creating list from loop results
>>                 attribs = sum(fourdsix_result) - min(fourdsix_result)
>>                 attrib_list.append(attribs)
>>                 print attrib_list
>>

>> This gets me multiple lists running through the loop.
> Have you tried printing attrib_list at the very end of your code, *outside* all the nested loops?

*facepalm*

D'oh that worked.  I tried every other combination of placing the
attrib_list commands except putting the print statement outside the loop
by itself.

Thanks for finding that.

> I also noticed a mistake in a previous answer:

> doesn't really work, because it produces eg [1, 1, 1, 2], but skips [2, 1, 1, 1], [1, 2, 1, 1]&  [1, 1, 2, 1].
>
> itertools.product does produce all of these combinations (and the docs even say "Equivalent to nested for-loops in a generator expression." for product()).
> Of course, when you want to throw away the lowest number, it becomes something like:

> (list with 1296 elements)
>
> Just for future reference.
I understand some of that but most of it is a little advanced for me
right now. :-)

Thanks very much for your help.

mwb