[Tutor] Iterating through a list of replacement regex patterns

David Hutto smokefloat at gmail.com
Sat Sep 4 04:02:08 CEST 2010

On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 9:57 PM, David Hutto <smokefloat at gmail.com> wrote:
> First of all, I'll respond more thoroughly tomorrow, when I can review
> what you said more clearly, but for now I'll clarify.
>
> Here is the whole code that I'm using:
>
> http://pastebin.com/Ak8DFjrb
>
> On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 9:12 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info> wrote:
>> On Fri, 3 Sep 2010 12:24:00 pm David Hutto wrote:
>>> In the below function I'm trying to iterate over the lines in a
>>> textfile, and try to match with a regex pattern that iterates over
>>> the lines in a dictionary(not {}, but turns a text list of
>>> alphabetical words into a list using readlines()).
>>>
>>> def regexfiles(filename):
>> [...]
>>
>> Your function does too much. It:
>>
>> 1 manages a file opened for input and output;
>> 2 manages a dictionary file;
>> 3 handles multiple searches at once (findall and search);
>> 4 handles print output;
>>
>> and you want it to do more:
>>
>> 5 handle multiple "select" terms.
>>

>> Your function is also poorly defined -- I've read your description
>> repeatedly, and studied the code you give, and your three follow up
>> posts, and I still don't have the foggiest clue of what it's supposed
>> to accomplish!
>
> This is supposed to recreate a thought experiment I've heard about, in which,
> if you have an infinite amount of monkeys, with an infinite amount of
> typewriters,
> they'll eventually spit out Shakespeare.
>
> So, I create a random length file, with random characters, then regex
> it for the iteration
> of dictionary terms, but the regex is needed further for the
> theoretical exploratory purposes
> into the thought experiment. If dictionary patterns are matched, then
> it needs further regex
> for grammatically proper structures, even if they don't make
> sense(take mad libs for example),
> but are still grammatically correct, randomly produced files.
>
> So the bulldozer is needed.

I forgot, the randomly generated files with random len, are regexed,
for words,, then sorted into a range file
for len of the words contained, then regexed for grammatical
structure, and sorted again.

The latters of this have not been set in yet, just up until it finds
the len of real words in the file, then regex of
the grammar is next on my list. So it's more practice with regex, than
use a bulldozer to dig a fire pit.