[Tutor] 2d list index inverting?

Alex Hall mehgcap at gmail.com
Wed May 26 03:13:57 CEST 2010

Hello all,
I have a 2d list being used for a battleship game. I have structured
the program so that it uses a grid class, which implements this array
along with a bunch of other methods and vars. For example, to get at
the top left square, you would say:
Grid.getSquareAt(0,0)
and inside getSquareAt is simply:
 def getSquareAt(self, x, y):
  return self.b[x][y] #b is the internal 2d list for the class

However, I am getting very confused with indexing. I keep getting
errors about list index out of range and I am not sure why. I have a
feeling that using 2d lists is supposed to go like a matrix
(row,column) and not like a coordinate plane (column, row). Any
suggestions? If you want the full source, just let me know and I will
update the zip file on my server and send the link. TIA!

--
Have a great day,
Alex (msg sent from GMail website)