[Tutor] First steps for C++/Qt developers

M. Bashir Al-Noimi mbnoimi at gmx.com
Thu May 13 05:18:16 CEST 2010

Thanks Alan,

On 12/05/2010 06:56 م, Alan Gauld wrote:

> "M. Bashir Al-Noimi" <mbnoimi at gmx.com> wrote
>> This is my first post and I want to set a plan for learning python
>> syntax within 2 weeks.
>
> Learning python syntax in 2 weeks is easily achievable if you go
> through the official tutorial at python.org. It is designed for people
> coming from another language, especially C++ or Java. If you work
> through it at a sensible pace - ie slow enough to think about it - you
> should be done
> in 2 or 3 days.
Oh my god, I finished the basics of python within one day (continues 10
hours)!!!
What's amazing language :-*

> From there you will know enough to start working through the Django
> tutorial material and write short simple Python function and programs.
>
>>   1.  From where I can start python by examples for C++ developers (I
>>      don't want documentation tutorials cuz I need simple tutorials
>>      compares between C++ & python syntax just at start point)?
>
> As others have said, trying to convert your knowledge of C++ into
> Python is likely to result in you writing Python that looks like C++.
> It is also likely to introduce bad habits based on C++ limitations.
> You need to learn the Python way of doing things (and its limitations!)
Actually I found some principles like extended C++ libraries, for
example I'm using Qt classes for creating objects just like dictionary
in python, where python provides them by default wow =-O .

>>   2. What's most IDE like Qt Creator (smart code completing is very
>>      important to me)?
>
> Most Python IDEs do at least basic tooltips and such but if you are
> familiar with Eclipse then you can install PyDev and get all the usual
> Eclipse tools, including a good debugger. The one thing that is less
> useful in Eclipse is its interpreter prompt, but you can just use a
> tool like IDLE or Pythonwin or IPython in a terminal for that.
PyDev is amazing specially I'm familiar with eclipse (I was using it
before releasing Qt Creator) but as I can see it's suitable for web
applications (specially with Aptana) more than desktop application
because web application don't need visual editor but in case if I want
to develope dektop applications (of course in the future) what's most
suitable IDE for that?

Until now I tested the following:

   1. PyDev <http://www.pydev.org/index.html> (95/100): amazing and gave
      a good impression for first look but it's not supporting visual
      editor for desktop applications.
   2. eric <http://eric-ide.python-projects.org/index.html>(80/100): the
      most active IDE for desktop applications in python but it has many
      negatives like autocompleting is so stupid managing the projects
      syncing changes between UI files and the code bad interface.
   3. boa-constructor
      <http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/boa-constructor/> (70/100):
      generally it has only two negatives it uses wxPython and it's not
      active since 2007 although I prefer it more than eric but I really
      hate wx
   4. SPE
      <https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=145384>(50/100):
      most likely to eric by it has arranged interface, uses wxPython
      and it's not active since 2006 (dead project)

I found many IDEs for desktop application but most of them very simple
or/and dead (PythonCard... etc)

Do u've more details?

>>   3. One of most different -I guess- between PHP & ASP.net is separated
>>      html code, does python separates html code or not?
>
> Python supports all the different styles of web development but
> Django, like most modern web tools separates code from presentation.
>
>>   4. Do I need any pre knowledge about CGI principles before stating
>>      developing web application with python?
>
> Since it is all built on CGI it is always a good idea to understand
> what is really going on. But raw CGI skill is not essential to get
> started in Django.
Could you guide me to quick guide for learning CGI?

--
Best Regards
Muhammad Bashir Al-Noimi