[Tutor] Unable to run Programs on WINXP using Python3

Lie Ryan lie.1296 at gmail.com
Wed May 12 11:49:47 CEST 2010

On 05/12/10 13:31, Sivapathasuntha Aruliah wrote:
> Hi
> I thank you for your prompt response. I am using WINXP.  Possibly programs
> written for Python 3 may not work in Python2 as informed by you due to
> syntax unmatch.

Very unlikely. If python is told to execute a faulty script (or even
arbitrary, non-python file), python would fail would fail with
"SyntaxError" exception.

> However when I try programs written for Python3 in Python3
> it first comes out with a pop up message "C:\python31\python.exe is not a
> valid Win32 application".

Your error message tells that either Python itself has crashed or
Windows refuse to execute python.exe since it detected that python.exe
is not a program.

> When I click OK prompt on pop up message then on
> dos box it states   "Access is denied."  I tried various types such as
> python, python.exe and without these two also but same pop up message
> comes out. Please advice.

How did you install python? Did the installer or the machine crashed
half-way through installation? Try reinstalling Python, make sure you
download the correct installer.

Can you start the interactive interpreter? Try starting just
C:\Python26\python.exe (without script argument)