[Tutor] python list, right! but concretely?

spir ☣ denis.spir at gmail.com
Sun May 2 07:49:02 CEST 2010

Hello,

Is there anywhere some introduction material to the implementation of python lists (or to fully dynamic and flexible sequences, in general)?
More precisely, I'd like to know what kind of base data-structure is used (linked list, dynamic array, something else -- and in case of array, how is resizing computed). Also, how is "generics" (element are of free type, and even heterogeneous) managed?

Denis

PS: The reason is I'm trying to understand better the underlying layers of magic facilities we use everyday. Starting from about no computer science knowledge. I have a working implementation of linked lists in primitive langguages ;-) (namely C & Pascal), but rather complicated to my taste; and I'm probably overlooking commonly known and used tricks that could make the algorithm simpler or more efficient.