[Tutor] Python a substitute/alternative for PhP?

Eldon Londe Mello Junior eldonjr at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 12 03:13:31 CEST 2010

Hi there,

If you care to listen to my story and fully help me out, just keep on reading }else{ move to the final question :)

I'm just finishing an introductory course on PhP and MySQL (HTML, CSS and Javascript basics included). That's a typical first step to novice programmers in Brazil.

However, I've been reading a lot about programming languages and stuff in order to make the best choice as I don't want to spend much time learning unnecessary things I won't need in the future.

Thus, I decided I want to be a contributor for the GNU/LINUX community and, of course, become sort of an opensource-solutions professional programmer. And if I got it right, python would the most adequate language for me to reach my goals.

Only a few programmers in Brazil are familiar with python though. As I said before, most beginners start with PhP and stick with it or go for JAVA or MS proprietary languages. Actually, you can only learn python on your own around here as no college or private institutes offer python courses.

As you may see it coming, the big question for me is: should I stick with PHP as most people here (those fond of free software) or Python is or would be a better choice for me?

FINAL QUESTION> Is Python a substitute for PHP? I mean, can I start learning python by trying to do the things I've learned with PHP? Are they different anyhow or they actually compete against each other?

Thanks in advance, advice on which steps to take to reach my career goals would be very appreciated as well!

Eldon.