[Tutor] What's the catch with ZopeDB?

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Fri Jun 11 22:07:47 CEST 2010

On 6/11/2010 12:42 PM Knacktus said...

> So, has anyone experience with ZopeDB? Are there some drawbacks I should
> be aware of before getting a book and dive in? (It sounds too good ;-))

I've been using it as part of a couple applications I wrote 10 years ago
that use zope.  I'm not sure how my comments relate to non-zope usage or
the recent versions so YMMV.

The two things that bother me most are that without packing the
database, it grows -- apparently without bound.  It'll pack a 1Gb source
DB down to 32Mb.  Also, I once experienced corruption and found it
impossible to recover the lost data, and I've a fair amount of
experience recovering lost data even from unmountable partitions and
drives that don't power up.

I'm not opposed to the idea so I think I'd try it out, but those are
issues I'd watch for.

Emile