[Tutor] A file containing a string of 1 billion random digits.

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sun Jul 18 09:20:21 CEST 2010

On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 11:51:17 am Richard D. Moores wrote:
[...]
> > On my not-even-close-to-high-end PC, this generates one billion
> > digits in 22 minutes:

> My <http://tutoree7.pastebin.com/9BMYZ08z> took 218 secs.

Lucky for some :)

Your version, on my machine, took 16 minutes, an improvement over my
initial trial, but still much slower than your PC.

I had initially thought that I was seeing the difference between local
hard drive access and the speed of my network, as my home directory is
on a remote machine, but I don't think this is the case. I modified
your version to write to a file on the local hard drive instead of a
remote file, but the speed hardly changed: 15 minutes instead of 16.
The best I was able to get my version down to is 14 minutes, so I guess
I just have to accept that my PC is seven times slower than yours :)

--
Steven D'Aprano