[Tutor] Python workspace - IDE and version control

galaxywatcher at gmail.com galaxywatcher at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 17:06:27 CET 2010

I want to share a couple of insights that I had getting started with
Python that I did not come across in the literature all that often. I
am discovering that there are two primary supporting tools needed in
order to create an efficient and productive Python programming
workspace: IDE and Version Control. I didn't realize at first how
important these supporting tools for Python would be. If Python is
your first programming language, you will have to learn how to use a
good text editor or IDE (Integrated Development Environment). If you
use textpad, it gets old very fast. I have chosen vim as my IDE and I
added a few key plugins that I think help a lot (snipMate, surround,
nerd-tree, and repeat).  I believe that snipMate is a plugin made
specifically for Python users on vim. Among other features, it auto
indents your code which is very nice.

So now that I can do some Python scripting, I started to notice that
my scripts were not very organized. Collaboration of code is
difficult. I had multiple copies of the same script in different
directories on my computer, and I did not have a good way to really
keep track. This is the wrong way. Version Control Systems are tried
and true technologies for collaborating with others (or even yourself)
on your code. After some research, I have decided to go with Git. I
have never used version control before, so I don't know the
distinctions of the various systems out there. I chose Git mainly
because github.com is really great. Some MAJOR open source (and
closed) projects are happening on there and you can download the open
source code so very easily. I am told Mercurial is good too, Bazaar
and SVN also came up in my research.

Obviously, no tool can think for you. The real programming work of
course is going on in your brain. I am curious what combination of IDE
and Version Control System you use and also perhaps, what other tools
I should be looking at as well.

Thanks.