[Tutor] Distributing Python Code for Commercial Porpoises?

Emile van Sebille emile at fenx.com
Sat Aug 7 18:22:05 CEST 2010

On 8/7/2010 8:16 AM Wayne Watson said...

> An easy way out might be to ask him to uninstall Python and any modules
> like numpy. I'm not even sure how to do that.

More reasons to start out simpler.  Have your partner install one of the
remote access tools (GoToMyPC, LogMeIn, VNC, etc) and do the work
yourself.  And then install the changes yourself.  Again, the practice
on both systems will probably benefit you more at this stage than
advanced technologies.  Familiarizing yourself with the actions
automated installation is required to perform will help you understand
the tools better, and provides clues debugging the results when it
doesn't quite work right. Don't make it any harder than it needs to be.
Ultimately, a single byte update to a .py file shouldn't be any more
involved than replacing the old file with the new revised file.

I'd use the links below -- there doesn't yet seem to be a 2.7 compatible
released version of scipy yet, so this lists the most current compatible
set of installable binaries.

As others have mentioned, don't use idle as you're doing.  Give
pythonwin (included with the activestate distribution) a try.  Or try
one of the free versions of Komodo or Wing.

HTH,

Emile

http://downloads.activestate.com/ActivePython/releases/2.6.5.14/ActivePython-2.6.5.14-win32-x86.msi

http://sourceforge.net/projects/numpy/files/NumPy/1.5.0b1/numpy-1.5.0b1-win32-superpack-python2.6.exe/download