[Tutor] Which Designer

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Mon Apr 26 01:38:15 CEST 2010

"Sharon" <dillyg23 at gmail.com> wrote

> I am a newbie to python but would like to use a designer for
> simplicity.  Which would be the easiest to use:
>
> WxGlade
> Qt 4 Designer
> Glade Interface Designer (Gtk)

These are all GUI builders so I assume you want to write GUIs?
If so which GUI toolkit are you intending to use because the
GUI builders all tend to be specific to one particular tookit,
which limits your options. Choose your toolkit and the GUI
builder is chosen for you...

> At this point in time I would be looking at the simplest for a newbie
> until my programming skills in Python improve.  Appreciate a few
> opinions on this.

The simplest toolkit or the simplest tool?
Picking the simplest tool may leave you writing code for a
complex toolkit? OPne of the simplest GUI tookits is the
standard Tkinter that comes with Python. But the tools for
building GUIs for Tkinter are not great! But toolkits like
Gtk and Qt have better tools but tend to be much more
complex than Tkinter (more powerful too of course - it tends
to be the case in programming that power and complexity
are closely linked!)

Maybe you should stick to simple programming first
and worry about the GUI stuff later? Or are you already
comfortable with command line/console  programs and
its only the GUI stuff that is new?

To really help we need to know more.

HTH,

--