[Tutor] Class Inheritance

Steven D'Aprano steve at pearwood.info
Sat Apr 24 02:50:07 CEST 2010

On Sat, 24 Apr 2010 01:22:54 am David Hutto wrote:
> I'm new, I touched the Holy lib, and
> didn't check to reset the original Tkinter directory before posting.
> Won't happen again.

I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot, you caught me at a time when I
was frustrated about other things, and after spending 30 minutes
wasting my time trying to reproduce the errors you were getting, I
snapped at you.

It's nothing about the library being "Holy", that's an asinine thing to
say. It's a software package, not a piece of the One True Cross. But
you wouldn't randomly plug and unplug parts in your car engine, and
then complain that "Perhaps I've misunderstood something, but it seems
to me that the Ford Fiesta doesn't have a working internal combustion
engine."

You've got the right idea about learning by experimentation, but there's
a right way and a wrong way to do it, and the way you've chosen is
actively harmful to *you*, as well as wasting the time of those who
volunteer to give help. How many hours did you waste because you
thought that Python's implementation of inheritance was buggy, due to
changes you introduced?

Even if it were only *one minute*, it would be too long because it is
completely, 100% unnecessary. Keep the standard library as it is
supplied. If you want to modify a module to see what happens, make a
copy of it and put it in your home directory with another name, and
make the changes there.

I applaud the fact that you are actively trying to solve problems before
asking for help. I'm not being sarcastic or condescending when I say
this is fantastic. But I am saying that your practice of *how* you try
to solve problems yourself is actually counterproductive, making a rod
for your own back, by introducing bugs into code that wasn't buggy in
the first place. Learning to code is hard enough when you can trust the
library to be (mostly) bug free, don't make it any harder!

--
Steven D'Aprano