[Tutor] Help deciding between python and ruby

Luke Paireepinart rabidpoobear at gmail.com
Sat Sep 5 22:45:00 CEST 2009

> ruby on the other is more 'implicit,' used more in web-apps (via ROR),
> emphasizes code-readability/beauty, and is more flexible (i.e. has more than
> one way of doing something).

You mean people actually like ruby's syntax?  I think Python's the prettiest
language I've worked with syntactically.
I wouldn't call having multiple ways to do something "flexible".  I agree
more with Python's philosophy, there should be one (and preferably only one)
obvious way to do something.

@kevin parks:
> I am (and i am sure i will be over-ruled and shouted down for this), not
entirely sure the tutor list
> is the appropriate place for this query. Places like comp.lang.python
better serve this purpose.
This is a good point, you probably should have stopped there.

Yes, this is probably not the best place for this discussion.  I would like
to see how it pans out, though, now that we're already 15 posts in.  It's
not very difficult to ignore a thread in your favorite e-mail client,
perhaps you could just do that?  If these debates become commonplace I will
probably help you yell at everyone to stop flooding the list, but the amount
of such questions has always been quite low and never bothersome, and I've
been on Tutor since 2005.