[Tutor] numerical simulation + SQLite

Faisal Moledina faisal.moledina at gmail.com
Mon Nov 30 19:47:32 CET 2009

Hey everyone,

I have a general issue that I'd like to discuss. I'm using Python to
run a numerical simulation where at each time step, I run a number of
operations and store the results before moving to the next timestep.
At first, I used a list to store a bunch of class instances, each of
which contained a bunch of data calculated at each time step. This
resulted in whopping memory usage (2.75 GB RAM, 3.75 GB VM).

So then I decided instead to use SQLite to store that information at
each timestep. This seems to work well, but it gets slow over time as
well. I've never used SQLite or Python before and I come from a
MATLAB-based engineering background rather than a programming one. I
was wondering if anyone had any tips for using SQLite efficiently.
Maybe a list of dos and don'ts.

I understand that specific help is impossible without a reduced sample
of code. Currently I'm looking for general guidelines and will come
back to this list for specific hangups. Thank you.

Faisal