[Tutor] Should a beginner learn Python 3.x

wesley chun wescpy at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 19:11:35 CET 2009

>> i get asked this question a lot, esp. when it pertains to my book,
>> "Core Python Programming." which should i learn? is your book
>> obsolete? etc. i basically tell them that even though they are
>> backwards-incompatible, it's not like Python 2 and 3 are sooooo
>> different that you wouldn't recognize the language anymore! as Kris
>> has said, there are just a handful of noticeable difference that you
>> have to just keep in mind. finally, the next edition of the book will
>> definitely be BOTH Python 2 and 3. Python 2 isn't EOL'd and will be
>> around for awhile longer -- the most important evidence of this being
>> that both 2.x and 3.x are being developed in parallel.
>
> I just ordered your great book 2nd edition. I dont know if i should get
> worried using a dated version. All i want is to learn the language. The
> transition process (i think) should just follow normally once you learn the
> language. So far I'm just a newbie trying to learn.

you see? that's *exactly* what i'm talking about. :-)  my stance for
all my books and my courses is that i focus on teaching you the core
fundamentals of the Python language. i'm less interested in the minor
differences between releases that newbies will not likely use anyway.

however, i cannot ignore the fact that 3.x is backwards-incompatible
with older releases, so those are the opportune times to mention the
differences. the next edition of the book will not exist for several
years, and in that book, it will be a combo of Python 2 and 3, not
purely just 3.

in the most recent printing of the 2nd ed., the publishers have let me
add 2 new appendices, one on Python 3 as the next generation of the
language, and another on Python 2.6 and the remaining 2.x releases and
their transition role. these should be able to tie y'all over until
3rd ed. :-)

cheers,
-- wesley
"Python Web Development with Django", Addison Wesley, (c) 2009
    http://withdjango.com

wesley.j.chun :: wescpy-at-gmail.com
http://cyberwebconsulting.com