[Tutor] getting python 3 to run from the command line

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 14 14:50:56 CET 2009

"Khalid Al-Ghamdi" <emailkgnow at gmail.com> wrote

> for some reason I haven't been able to get python 3 to work from the the
> command line. I've added it to the the path in the the system variables
> but
> still no luck. when I try to run python 2.6 it works flawlessly, though,
> bearing in mind that it wasn't added to the system variables!

Can you print the output from PATH?
That should tell you what is included in your path, so your Python30
or python31 folder should show up.

> i'm running windows vista and have python 30 ,31 and 26 installed.

How are you calling Python from the command line?

I assume you start a CMD window and then just type python?
If so it will execute whichever python it finds first.
You might want to create aliases for python30, python31
and python26 that execute the right python.exe
In fact if you dreate batch files you an also set the PYTHONPATH
to the right folders too if there are different folders for pytghon 3
and python 2 files - which is usually necessary!

HTH

--
Alan G
Author of the Learn to Program web site