[Tutor] trouble using 2to3.py

Tim Golden mail at timgolden.me.uk
Wed Nov 4 16:41:41 CET 2009

Dave Angel wrote:
> I've thought of using hard links (using fsutil.exe, in case anyone else
> is interested), but I keep my scripts and batch files, as well as small
> utilities on a separate drive  partition from the one that has my OS and
> installed programs.  And hard links don't work across separate partitions.

That would be a problem. I just use a c:\tools wherever I go
where I dump anything useful.

> But tell me, how does python.exe find its "home" directory, to set
> initial sys.path and suchlike?  I assumed it was done relative to the
> python.exe's full path location.  But if you hard link, nobody knows
> where the real executable image resides (and in fact the concept has no
> meaning, since the two directory entries equally own the content).

Well, I haven't bothered to look at the machinery in question,
but before I did it, I just made sure it would work:

<dump>
H:\>python31 -c "import sys; print (sys.executable, '\n'.join (sys.path))"
c:\tools\python31.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\python31.zip
C:\Python31\Lib
C:\Python31\DLLs
H:\
c:\tools
C:\Python31
c:\work_in_progress\python-projects\wmi\trunk
c:\python31-site-packages
C:\Python31\lib\site-packages
C:\Python31\lib\site-packages\win32
C:\Python31\lib\site-packages\win32\lib