[Tutor] Difference in minutes between two time stamps

John Fouhy john at fouhy.net
Tue Mar 3 02:53:48 CET 2009

2009/3/3 Judith Flores <juryef at yahoo.com>:

> Hello,
>
>   I can't seem to figure out the syntax to calculate the difference in minutes between two time stamps. I already read the documentation about datetime and time modules, but I was unable to implement the code.
>
> My code will be fed with two timestamps (as styrings):
>
> start="09:35:23"
> end="10:23:00"
>
>    Could someone guide me on how to calculate the difference in minutes between both stamps?

You want to use the datetime.datetime.strptime() function to parse the
timestamps.  Although you will probably need to look at the time
module to get the different codes -- the documentation isn't superbly
organised in this area, I feel.

Anyway, as a start:

>>> import datetime
>>> s = '09:35:23'
>>> datetime.datetime.strptime(s, '%H:%M:%S')
datetime.datetime(1900, 1, 1, 9, 35, 23)

Can you figure out how to proceed from there?

--
John.