[Tutor] python workspace

Dave Kuhlman dkuhlman at rexx.com
Sun Jun 7 02:55:33 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 02, 2009 at 04:40:43PM -0500, W W wrote:

>    On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 1:30 PM, Dave Angel <[1]davea at ieee.org> wrote:
>
>      You could use the commercial Komodo IDE.  It's got a debugger that
>      runs the Python code as a separate process, so it can be used for
>      GUI debugging as well as console work.  I use it with wxPython, and
>      Python 2.6.2
>      [3]http://www.activestate.com/komodo/
>
>    Wingware also has a commercial IDE, and most of the functionality is
>    included in the free student/personal use version. They were also
>    generous enough to donate I think it was 4 or 8 commercial licensees
>    to our PyArkansas un-conference. I played around with it a bit and it
>    seemed like quite a solid IDE.
>    HTH,
>    Wayne

On Linux, try the Eric IDE: http://eric-ide.python-projects.org/

It will show you local variables.  But, remember that these are the
local variables at *run-time*.  They are names to which values have
been bound at that point in the execution of your code.  And, as
Alan pointed out elsewhere in this thread, the variable has no
type.  It's the value (what the variable is bound to) that has a
type.

- Dave

--
Dave Kuhlman