[Tutor] Pygame

bhaaluu bhaaluu at gmail.com
Fri Jul 24 19:30:57 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 11:49 AM, David<ldl08 at gmx.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> there also is:
> "Invent Your Own Computer Games with Python", which apparently does not
> use pygame (like Dawson).
> http://pythonbook.coffeeghost.net/
>
> I can't comment on the quality.
>
> David

I have looked through almost half of the PDF version of the book
and it is well written with original content. I think that a beginner
programmer could use this book as a Python tutorial, especially
if they are interested in learning about Python game programming.
The online HTML version of the book seems to be more updated,
with chapters 12-15 about PyGame.

I typed in several of the programs from the PDF book, and they all
worked nicely after I fixed MY typos. I made some typical beginner
mistakes, such as forgetting punctuation, miss-spelling variable
names, and improper indentation.

It is always nice to find a programming book that has working source
code, especially if the source code is used for the examples. The ZIP
archive of
source code for the examples can be downloaded, and works very well.
The ZIP archive doesn't include the PyGame examples yet, but I was able
to copy/paste those from the online book and run them. They work fine.

I've already learned several useful new things about Python by reading
this book. Many thanks to Albert Sweigart for making it available
for free, online at http://pythonbook.coffeeghost.net
--
b h a a l u u at g m a i l dot c o m
Gnu/Linux IS user-friendly.