[Tutor] import site failed (WinXP)

Alexei Vinidiktov alexei.vinidiktov at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 18:34:14 CET 2009

2009/1/28 Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net>:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 11:43 AM, Alexei Vinidiktov
> <alexei.vinidiktov at gmail.com> wrote:
>> 2009/1/27 Kent Johnson <kent37 at tds.net>:

>>> Yes, you should have a file
>>> C:\Python25\Lib\encodings\aliases.py
>>>
>>> and presumably if it is missing, it should be restored by re-installing.
>>>

>> That's the problem. Reinstalling Python or even installing a different
>> version doesn't install ...\Lib\encodings\aliases.py
>
> Very strange. What if you download it from here:
> http://svn.python.org/view/python/branches/release25-maint/Lib/encodings/aliases.py?rev=51333&view=auto
>
> and put it into C:\Python25\Lib\encodings\ ?

Something very strange is happening on my system. After I downloaded
the aliases.py file and saved it, I couldn't find it via the Explorer,
but it was visible via an Open and Save dialog of some programs (such
as Opera).

I've conducted another experiment. I created several text files with a
Notepad that contained text 'alia' in their names and none of them
were visible after I had saved them to the disc. For example the files
alia1.txt, alias.txt, aliases.txt, aliases2.txt, aliases.py.txt were
all invisible in the Explorer, but the files ali.txt, ali1.txt were
visible.

I must add that I can see files that have an invisible attribute just
fine in the Explorer.

--
Alexei Vinidiktov