[Tutor] datetime year problem, default year available?

Sander Sweers sander.sweers at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 01:01:09 CET 2009

Hello Tutors,

I have some questions on setting the year in a datetime object via
strptime. The issues is that in my date string I only have a day and a
month ('11/27' for example). Now when I use datetime.strptime('11/27',
''%m/%d) I get a datetime object but the year is 1900. This makes
sense as I did not provide one.

Then I saw that a datetime object has a replace function so now I
could replace a 1900 by 2008 (we can assume the year is 2008). Then we
can do datetime.strptime('11/27', '%m/%d').replace(year=2008) and it
works but... Is there a way to set a default year when none is provide
to strptime? Or is there another way to handle this?

Many thanks,
Sander