[Tutor] dict() versus {}

wormwood_3 wormwood_3 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 22 05:39:07 CET 2009

dict( [arg])
Return a new dictionary initialized from an optional positional argument or from a set of keyword arguments. If no arguments are given, return a new empty dictionary. If the positional argument arg is a mapping object, return a dictionary mapping the same keys to the same values as does the mapping object.

But why doesn't the optional positional argument arg  in this case, not being a mapping type, get evaluated?: dict(thing=1)

And even if it makes sense for it not to be evaluated, wouldn't it be better for dict() to complain that it didn't get a string or an int as it expects for a keyword argument? Maybe I am missing the use case, so far it just seems strange to force the keyword to a string.

-Sam